30 years ago, the University of Oldenburg recognized Energy Research for an environmentally friendly, safe and affordable energy provision as a great challenge for our society: The photovoltaic array at the University of Oldenburg‘s “Energielabor” has been installed in the 80th and is now among the oldest arrays still in operation in Germany. Today, diverse research groups from different scientific disciplines support the energy research at the University of Oldenburg. They have joined forces in the research consortium ENERiO – Energy Research in Oldenburg, which finds a very fruitful atmosphere in the University in teaching and research. In ENERiO, the energy-related research is additionally compounded by
- ForWind, the joint Center for Wind Energy Research of the Universities of Oldenburg, Hannover and Bremen with a basic research ranging broadly in both engineering and in physics, and
- the institute Next Energy, which has been founded in 2007 by EWE AG in conjunction with the University of Oldenburg and the State of Lower Saxony.
- A very important part in the IT-related Energy Research plays the Energy R&D division of OFFIS, an associated institute of the University of Oldenburg.
Diverse study programs on all educational levels escort these research activities, e.g.
- Specializations Environmental Informatics and Energy Informatics in the Bachelor and Master study program Computing Science
- European Master in Renewable Energy (EUREC)
- Water and Coastal Management (WCM)
- Sustainability Economics and Management (SEM)
- Landscape Ecology (LOEK)
- Marine Environment Science (MUWI)
- Environment Modelling (UMMO)
- Business Information Systems / VLBA – Corporate Environmental Management Information Systems (VLBA)
- PhD programme System Integration Renewable Energy – SEE and Georg-Christoph-Lichtenberg Scholarships
- Postgraduate Programme Renewable Energy (PPRE)
- PhD programme Bi-national PhD Program Renewable Energy
- Chameleon Research Group – Adaptation to climate change in the utility sector